I know that this is not the first time that I have touched on this topic on our blog but my program director has asked me to touch on it again after listening to 50 or so submissions of independent artists music. So let me just be clear keep doing what you are doing but continue to educate yourselves don’t let the SOUND QUALITY of your product ruin your chances to make it on the radio or anywhere else for that matter. Although there are a lot of entities out there willing and ready to help the indie artist let’s be honest they still want to maintain the integrity of their station as well so if your mix is not there we can not air it. Here are a few things to help you
1. Sandwich your song – Put your favorite Major Label artist’s song on a CD then put yours then put another hot song on the CD if your song does not measure up with the sound quality you should go back to the drawing board.
2. Have a consultation with a licensed Audio Engineer. They will be able to give you professional advice about your mix
3. Have your song MIXED by a professional you may spend between 300 to 500 dollars but it will be worth it
4. Don’t mix the record yourself if you don’t know how to mix a records. You are doing yourself a disservice professionals know when you have not done your due diligence.
5. Oh yeah and by the way a radio song mix of a song should be 3;45 or less keep that in mind
Trust me these things will help